AUSSIE MONTH with Sami Lee
Describe yourself in one word:
Nope, can’t do one. Too complex, that’s me 🙂
What is your background with regard to writing?
I had my first work published in the school newsletter when I was six, so I had kind of a long apprenticeship. I wrote for fun all through high school and finally started taking it seriously about 10 years ago. My first published e book came out in 2007. I always write contemporary, it’s only the heat level that changes (and sometimes the number of partners J). I write sweet romance for Escape Publishing, erotic romance for Samhain Publishing and everything else I currently self-publish.
Tell us about Pleasing the Doctor:
Pleasing The Doctor is a re-release of a book I had originally published through Ellora’s Cave. It’s a short exploration of a budding BDSM relationship that I’ve been told is one of the hottest things I’ve ever written.
What inspired this novel?
Ryan Gosling. LOL. (no really, it was Ryan). Although a friend mentioned that the guy on the cover looks like Ben Afleck. I’m pretty inspired by both those guys actually *wink*
What are you reading right now?
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
Number one thing to do on your bucket list?
Take my kids on a tour of Canada and Alaska
Best thing about being an Aussie?
What you want readers to know about the romance genre?
*gets out soap box*
- It’s changed a lot in the last 20 years so if you read a Danielle Steel in some year beginning with 19 you can’t judge all romance books and authors by that standard now.
- Not all romance novels are the same.
- They can be just as hard to write as thrillers or general fiction or any other type of fiction
- That society disses books that are about love and relationships yet praises books that are about psycho serial killers, says more about society than it does about romance novels.
What have you got in store for your readers in 2015?
More books! I have Wild Crush #3 (called Eternal Brand) coming out on March 10 and book #4 should be out later in the year. I also intend to publish book #3 in the Ashton Heights Fire series and a stand-alone contemporary rom com. In March I’ll be attending the Australian Romance Readers Convention in Canberra where I’ll be signing books and appearing on a panel about erotic romance.
What were your big achievements of 2014?
I write these down every year, because I think it’s important for writers to remind themselves of all they’ve done instead of always focussing on the next thing that must be done. So here goes:
– Wrote 3 books
– Navigated the learning curve of self-publishing
– Successfully pitched series continuation ideas to my publisher
– Sold audio rights to Erica’s Choice—it will be released with Audible sometime in 2015
– Had a successful boxed set release with my friends and writing partners (Down and Dirty made my year, yay!)
– Released nine books overall, including re-releases.
Pleasing the Doctor
It’s been a year since Alice’s divorce, a year since her lady parts have gotten any up-close-and-personal attention from a man. When she meets Damien and he invites her back to his hotel room, she decides to be wild and brave for a change. After all, it’s just one night. His card says he’s an out-of-town doctor—it’s the perfect chance for her to explore some of her deepest desires without having to worry about after-sex embarrassment.
Except Damien isn’t an out-of-towner at all. He’s just moved to the area and knows, as soon as he sees Alice, that he can give her the kind of pleasure she secretly craves. The kind of pleasure that comes from a good spanking and some leather bindings.
Convincing Alice to give in to her desires isn’t a problem—convincing her to stay once the sun comes up is the real challenge.